Friday, October 24, 2008

WTF is up With Voting on Tuesdays????

I mean, it's so dumb right??? We all have to work on Tuesdays which means you either have to go to the polling place before work which, like my own reality show, is not going to happen, or you have to go after work.

After work in November it's dark, and there's a lot of dudes who hang out on the corner of Telegraph and 40th streets, between me and my polling place, who seek the attention of young females. Like myself.

Duh, I'm obvi going to vote regardless, but that's because politics are an all consuming occupation for me. If I was less interested and maybe smart enough to figure out that my electronic ballot was just going to be thrown out anyway, I might not want to put in the effort.

SO...WTF is up with voting on Tuesdays?? Most other developed countries vote over the weekend, why are we so persecuted?

Well apparently it made perfect sense in 1845 when our founding white dudes in Congress decided that Tuesday was the day. According to this op-ed in the NYTimes: To understand the decision Congress made that year, let’s imagine ourselves as members of early agrarian American society. Saturday was for farming, Sunday was the Lord’s day, Monday was required for travel to the county seat where the polling places were, Tuesday you voted, Wednesday you returned home, and Thursday it was back to work.

I mean, nothing else has changed since 1845 right? We still own slaves, don't have toilets, wear wool stockings in Summer and have open sewers in the streets. So why should we change any of our mentally disabled election laws???
Gawd!

No comments: