Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sick

I'm going to recommend a movie to you that's not an easy sell.
It's called Sick and it's a documentary about Bob Flanagan, artist, S&M enthusiast, and one of the oldest surviving cystic fibrosis sufferers.

I am not going to lie to you, there is some SUPER graphic S&M scenes but if you can't take it (and if you're the average dude, believe me, you can't) you can just watch the dvd with one hand on the fast forward button and the other in front of your eyes. Which...I will admit I did.

I swear though!!! It's worth it. It is literally, one of the most touching movies I've ever seen, and, believe me, I did not pop it in thinking I was going to watch the whole thing.

Obvi it's complicated but his attitude to S&M is all about taking back control of his body. Like, 'Fuck you CF! You call that pain??? I can do way worse to myself and get off on it!' It's weirdly heroic.

Plus there's so many great scenes that show off Bob's humor, and well humanity, through all the fucking crazy pain of his CF. There's this awesome teenage CF sufferer who uses her make a wish foundation wish to go visit Bob and his dominatrix partner Sheree in LA, and they take her to get her nipples pierced! It's a lot more touching than it sounds. I actually suspect it doesn't sound touching at all.

Anyway, check it out! Your bravery will be rewarded, and don't forget: just fast forward though anything you don't want to watch. Frankly even some of the non S&M scenes in the 1st half of the movie are skip-able.

No comments: