Monday, September 29, 2008

For the Record I Rep Coors Lite

Do you remember when Jay-Z got all up and (legitimately) pissed when the managing director of Cristal said he basically didn't understand what was up with hip hop's love of the brand but that there was nothing he could do about it? Holy at least subconscious racism Batman.

Jay Z called for a boycott, and started reping Ace of Spades, but for real now, the brand is still in effect. When you think 'ridiculous way to drink away my wealth' what comes to mind? Duh, Cristal. The once and future king of showing off.
Plus Cristal rhymes with pistol. Though in fairness, Krug rhymes with thug. Dom Perignon on the other hand...

A new study out this week in Psychology and Marketing shows that for good or bad brands will be forever linked in your mind with the celebs who rep them, whether on the pay roll or off. Actually especially off. I mean, honestly, I had zero interest in Air Force 1s until Nelly told me he needed 2 per. Now I need two per. Give me two per. I have the sudden urge to get to stompin' in them.

Obviously this is great if your brand targets the same audience the medium does ala 'Pass the Courvoisier' but bad if you're Burberry and you're looking to attract more of the 'bridle and pearls' set and less the 'fish and chips and public urination' set.

As a last and only tangentially related thought: I can't get 'Brush Your Shoulders Off' out of my head! It's been over a week and at this point my shoulders are pretty dirt free. Sigh

1 comment:

Unknown said...

2 per?!! Shit, I only have 1 per. Seriously, i do, and i must admit that song had a little to do with it. clearly, i wasn't listening that closely to the lyrics.
they don't make enough air force 1s in my baby size. plus, i find it hard to spend more than $30 on something.