Thursday, August 14, 2008

You know you wanna know!!

One time, a few years ago, when I was visiting home I decided to take a pilgrimage to my favorite high school hang out - The New Golden Dawn Diner. It was open all night, you could smoke and you could stay as long as you wanted for the price of a shitty cup of coffee and some fries. I remember one time my friend Danielle and I stayed so long smoking and drinking coffee that when I got home I couldn't sleep at all because my heart was racing and I could barely draw a breath.
Don't smoke, kids, a recessed filter is just a marketing thing.

Anyway, so I drive to the Golden Dawn and get a grilled cheese with tomato and relive some great memories. There's not a lot to do in South Jersey by yourself.

To my absolute delight, in the booth right behind me were two gentlemen eating club sandwiches and discussing what was, and was not, realistic about Jersey mob families as portrayed in the Soprano's.
This was when the Soprano's was on the air and still a big deal.

I know what you're thinking! They weren't really made men, they were just showing off, but I swear, if you could have seen these guys! I could have been staring right at Big Pussy and Paulie Walnuts reflected back to me in the gold flecked wall mirror. It was amazing! Plus real or not, I considered it a great Jersey moment.


I want you to have that moment.

Check out this Salon article where Ondine Galsworth (awesome name) interviews high priced sex workers to gauge how realistic the show "Secret Diary of a Call Girl" is. I thought the most interesting thing they pretty much all said was that she was too hard and that she made the encounters too much about sex. One call girl even claimed that sex was the least important aspect of the transaction. That most men who pay that much really want a nice, sweet girlfriend, just one that goes away when they say to. Interesting.

No comments: