Saturday, August 23, 2008

Through the Looking Glass!

People!!! The 4th wall of Reality TV has come down!!
Actually, maybe it's the 5th or 6th wall...um, what kind of room is reality tv in, a hexagon? Probably more of a rhombus.

Whoa, off topic.
Much, much more importantly, someone I am tangentially acquainted with was on Project Runway! AND, on the very, very, best episode ever; this weeks Good Queen Fun, exclamation mark!

I was watching it late night at the bf's house. I thought he was asleep but OUT OF NO WHERE he bolts up and yells, "That's Steven!" Which scared the bajeez out of me because, as I said, I thought he was asleep.

He only heard his voice, which is uncanny, but low and behold, it was Steven but as his drag alter ego, LeMay!




Jake, who's very sensitive about embarrassing reality tv situations, almost had a heart attack waiting for Steven to get chosen by a designer. Ugh, he got Jerell and then was subjected to this horrible outfit.
Poor Steven!



Steven owns a rad vintage/tshirt/drag supply shop, Retro-Fit, in the Mission that used to sell Headline Shirts and Revel's lines, which Jake is the designer for. Besides selling my boyfriends tshirt designs, he's also known for his ridiculously amazing window displays.

He and Jake even collaborated on this great Flash opener for the Headline Shirts website that's an, I think, hysterical rip off of American Apparel.
You should probably check that out, and maybe buy some tshirts while you're at it.

Long story short I think they fell out a little over Jake's unwillingness to explore his homosexual side but we were still rooting for him to have a rad outfit and a fun time on Runway. ESPECIALLY because Steven's a totally huge Runway fan and throws a huge finale viewing party slash fashion show.

But then he gets the lame designer and the ugly outfit that was totally mocked in the judging. Here's what Tim Gunn said in his blog about this sequin mess, "This look was the biggest loser in my opinion: (Tim Gunn called it the worst dress!!!) The dress was a simple silhouette, albeit jazzed up by the piecing of the sequined fabrics; the green collar was too high and too GREEN for LeMAY's relatively short neck and fair complexion, thereby dwarfing her head and giving her a sickly pallor; and that fringe along the hemline?"

Steven handled the situation well, and I still think he looked great but yikes! It really made me think twice about how awesome it would be to be on a show. Sigh.

Regardless I'm trying to pressure Jake to reconnect with Steven so we can get the inside scoop on all things Runway. Will report back with my findings

No comments: