Saturday, August 23, 2008

RIP Bernie Mac

I know this is a day late and a dollar short but I do want to give a little respect to Mr. Mac who passed last weekend.

I have love for anyone who can make me laugh but after reading all the tributes to Bernie over the week I have nothing but respect for the man.



This picture above is of him and his wife Rhonda. They met in high school and were married for 30 years.
In People she talked about their high school courtship,

"He said, 'You never seen a black man as pretty as me.' And I said, 'No, I sure haven't.' And he said, 'Girl, you know I'm so beautiful,'" she remembers.

A few months later, on Valentine's Day, he asked her to come to his shop class so he could give her something. When she got there, "I said, 'What do you have for me?' And he kissed me. That was our first kiss." The couple wed in 1977 when both were 19-years-old. Daughter Je'Niece was born the following year.
That alone brings a tear to my eye.

6,000 mourners showed up for Bernie's funeral in Chicago's South Side where he grew up and continued to live even after he became famous. On CNN.come mayor Richard Daley said of Mac,

"He wanted to help get children away from a life of crime and violence...That's why he's the king of comedy. He never lost his soul in Chicago."

I think the best quote though came from came from DL Hugley who said of their time on the road in the Original Kings of Comedy, "Bernie would wear colors that crayons hadn't even thought of yet."

Bye Bernie, and thanks for the laughs and all the great suits.


No comments: