Monday, July 14, 2008

Take my couture...Please!

Ba-dum-pum.
What do we think about this???
Louis Vuitton's new line of bags emblazoned with Henny Youngman jokes.

I know it's hard to tell from the picture but here's some of the jokes:
Every time I meet a woman who can cook like my Mother....She looks like my Father.
and
My wife went to the
beauty shop and got a mud pack. For two days she looked beautiful. Then the mud fell off.

That kind of old, Jewish, dinner theater in the Catskills humor that riffes on the state of marital relations 'that were'. That were right?

I know I should be kind of icked out by bringing that old, gendered sensibility into 2008 unedited (I mean even James Bond is kind of pc now) but my Dad is a HUMONGOUS Henny Youngman fan. He had my sister Rachel and I spouting, 'Take my wife...please' years before we got the joke, which is kind of, um, mean, especially given that my Mother is his wife. Whenever I visit home I can always crack him up by saying, 'I just flew in from California...and boy are my arms tired.'
Good one! That never gets old! Seriously it doesn't for my Dad. It's like how I still think that Budwiser comercial from the late 90's where the guys just say, 'WAZZZZUP' to each other is advertising's gift to humanity.

I'm not an impartial judge is what I'm saying, instead of icking me out its making me want to go find the family picture where we're all wearing those Groucho Marx glasses with the nose and moustache.

On the other hand, the collision of high fashion and anything I associate with my Dad, who unironically wears a calculator watch, is a little bewildering. It also makes me want to swipe that calculator watch, to wear ironically.
Kind of awesome, right?

No comments: