Monday, November 10, 2008

You're Irritating Me

No not you. I like you!

But 'researchers' at Oxford University have isolated the 10 most irritating phrases in the English language. My 1st feeling is, maybe you could get to work on that cancer thing, 'researchers', and my second thought was who says what's irritating. You know?

Most of the irritating phrases seem 'irritating' mainly to grammar wonks, like the #3 choice, 'I personally' which is redundant. #10 is the iconic, 'It's not rocket science' which I personally love.

The boyfriend HATES when anyone uses the word 'literally' as hyperbole, as in, 'There were literally a million cats in that house.' A crime I'm constantly committing.

I hate how reality TV contestants seem to all be working from a semi-literate phrase book. Hearing, 'That being said' or any iteration of someone being 'thrown under the bus' grates like knee caps on cement.

I didn't find any of the list very annoying let me know what you think

1 - At the end of the day

2 - Fairly unique

3 - I personally

4 - At this moment in time

5 - With all due respect

6 - Absolutely

7 - It's a nightmare

8 - Shouldn't of

9 - 24/7

10 - It's not rocket science

No comments: