Thursday, November 6, 2008

I Now Pronounce You...Republican

I hate when THE MEDIA try to make up cat fights between blonds and brunettes, working mothers and stay at home mothers, young women and older women and especially between single women and married women.

HOWEVER (sorry I'm lovin' the caps today) US News and World Report today says that while 70% of single women (including shaked up, widowed and divorced) voted for Obama only 50% of married women did. I'm not trying to make a value judgment about voting McCain (though his policies are pretty anti woman) I just wonder what the reason for the discrepancy is. Do you just automatically become more conservative once you get married? I have no idea.

I do like that US News calls unmarried women, 'an important but often overlooked demographic'. I mean, 'Overall, 53 percent of the national electorate this year was female, according to exit poll data. Women overall voted 56 to 43 percent for Obama; men voted 49 to 48 percent for him.'

Just saying, if only men had been voting it could have gone either way. YOU'RE WELCOME AMERICA.

update: whoops! I was giving myself too much credit as an unmarried woman for swaying the vote because 52% of white women voted McCain, along with 57% of white men. Boo whiteys! And by extension, I suppose, boo me. I hate booing me.

No comments: