Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Boobs
























Don't you love Dolly? She was the 1st thing that came to mind when I needed to illustrate breast feeding. You know, cause of her big boobs.

I got a little off track searching for photos of her but I really wanted to direct you to this article about the history of breastfeeding in the Western world. I know, it sounds like a total buzz kill but it's really interesting. Swear!

Did you know that at the turn of the 20th century racist scientists did 'experiments' to prove that white women's milk was less nutritious than black women?
What, why?? Because (of course) white women were more 'evolved'. Duh. Breast feeding was too animalistic for the average Gilded age snowflake.
Suddenly all the milk in all the white boobs in America 'dried up', and white women refused to breast feed. Till it became cool again, it's really weird.

But ugh, I made it even more of a buzz kill by bringing race into it didn't I?

No comments: