Wednesday, December 3, 2008

My Nemisis, Fog

Basically the entire reason I moved to California (though of course there was also a man involved) was to get more sunshine and less snow in my life. I came from Pittsburgh, PA which has 300 days of rain, sleet, snow or hail per year.
That's only 65 days of sun!

It's sort of worked, it doesn't rain in the Bay Area for about 7 months out of the year, but there's the omni present fear of FOG!!!

Most people when they think of SF and fog they think of this...















Oh! How beautiful! Or they think of Carl Sandburg's semi famous poem about fog in SF -

The fog comes
on little cat feet

It sits looking
over harbor and city
on silent haunches
and then moves on

Wow! Sounds great, I'll take two.
But here's what fog is really like on the ground...















It's dark, it's damp and it's depressing and it's here all week. Booooooo! Boo fog!

No comments: